How to tie dye is one of the most searching words among fashion icons. Tie dye is back in fashion and with every passing day, it’s getting hype. As its name suggests, it’s a process of dyeing fabrics after you tie them to create cool and eye-catching designs for T-shirts, bed sheets, skirts, and pants. This can be done by everyone in fact it’s a great activity for the whole family. One of the best things about tie dye is that you can’t really mess it up if you know the right strategy you can do it well.
What You Need for How to Tie dye
Here are the things you will need to get started with how to tie dye
- Tulip 12 color tie dye kit
- White fabric
- Face mask and gloves
- Soda ash
- Grocery bags
- Rubber bands
How To Tie dye Your Shirts
Here is the right strategy to tie dye your shirts.
- To begin, add soda ash to warm water and dissolve it. Now put your fabric into the bucket and saturate it. Let it soak for 15-30 minutes and then squeeze all the water. Dry it for a while.
- While your fabric is soaking, it’s a good time to mix up dyes according to the instructions. Don’t forget to wear a face mask while working with powders. Another important tip…dyes break down quickly so its better to mix them when you are ready to apply them
- Now your fabric is pre-soaked and dyes are mixed, let the fun begin.
- Take your pre-soaked cloth out and keep it on a flat surface with the back facing up. It’s time to choose the design which you would like to have on your shirt. There infinite number of tie dye patterns and strategies.
- Most people go with a spiral design. For this, put a butter knife/flat head screwdriver/ fork on the desired point and start twirling until all the parts of the shirt are covered in the spiral. Then secure it with a rubber band.
- Flip your shirt to the front and put the dye on it. Make sure you start with the tied-up part of your shirt. Once you are done with the top side then flip it over and color the other side. Don’t oversaturate your cloth otherwise, you will end up with a muddy mess. Don’t worry if your colors overlap, in fact, it’s better to create new colors.
- Wrap your cloth into a plastic bag, and wait until the next day to rinse and wash. Giving it more time will ensure that your dye does not fade with time and it is more intense.
- Next day wash it with cold water until all the excess dye is out. When water is almost clear then put your cloth in the washing machine and wash in hot water.
- After this, dry it in the dryer or you can hang dry it.
There is nothing right or wrong in tie dye. How to tie dye is how you feel. So, let yourself be creative and think differently. The most important key to tie dye is to fold your shirt and tie it securely with rubber bands. The tighter the folds you have, the more likely you will leave some white color in the shirt. Now enjoy your new cool tie dye design